The Toronto Botanical Garden was a Garden Club of Toronto initiative. By late 1950's, the City of Toronto still had no official Garden Centre. The GCT lobbied Metro Parks which created the city’s first Civic Garden Centre at Leslie and Lawrence. Fast forward to 1965. With a new name and a new home designed by Canadian architect Raymond Moriyama, the Toronto Botanical Garden was officially opened on the Civic Garden’s site.
The annual Canada Blooms event was the brainchild of the Garden Club of Toronto. It launched the city’s first Flower Show in 1954 in the Leaside Memorial Gardens. It featured educational displays, competitive flower arrangements and horticulture classes. Subsequent venues included Casa Loma, the O’Keefe Centre (today’s Sony Centre for the Performing Arts), and the CNE’s Automotive Building. In 1997, the GCT joined forces with Landscape Ontario to sponsor the first Canada Blooms Flower Show.